Attend a one-hour orientation where you’ll learn about volunteer roles, training schedules, and the benefits of volunteering. *All volunteers who are new to Tax Help Colorado are required to attend an orientation.
Volunteer with us
Are you looking for a rewarding volunteer experience? Make a difference in your community, learn a new skill, and have some fun while you’re at it by volunteering with Tax Help Colorado!
I keep coming back
“It’s easy to lose touch with the people who share society with you. If you’re looking for a way to impact your community and meet these people—whether they’re veterans or immigrants, young or ready to retire—this is that way. That’s why I keep coming back every year.”Tim, four years of service
An immediate impact
“I am a retired CPA and if you had asked me a few years ago if I would ever want to volunteer to do tax returns as a volunteer position, I would have said ‘no way!’ What I have learned, however, is that working with the families that Tax Help Colorado serves gives you the opportunity to see a direct and immediate impact on the well-being of those families.”Jane, two years of service
My first volunteer experience
“Volunteering with Tax Help Colorado has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my career. Having very little experience volunteering, it was the perfect first place to dedicate my time and help others. Given my bilingual background, I especially take pride in educating and assisting Spanish-speaking individuals.”Vanessa, two years of service
Whether you’re a CPA, or still ask your parents to file your return, Tax Help Colorado has a volunteer role to fit your interests and skill level with trainings to ensure you’re prepared.
A volunteer's journey
From learning about our program to celebrating your successes, this is what it looks like to volunteer with Tax Help Colorado.
- New Tax Preparers: Attend three four-hour, in-person trainings and complete independent readings, optional practice assignments, and an open-book IRS certification. Total training time: 12 hours + 5-10 hours for reading and certification.
- New Greeters & Translators: Attend one two-hour, in-person training. Total training time: 2 hours.
- Returning Tax-Certified Volunteers: Attend one three-hour refresher training and complete current year certification exam independently. Total training time: 3 hours. *Optional: Returning volunteers may attend new volunteer trainings if they wish.
- Tax-Certified Volunteers & Greeters: Volunteer 25 hours during tax season (January 25 – May 1)
- Translators: Volunteer 15 hours during tax season (January 25 – May 1)
In addition to the satisfaction of knowing you are doing something truly valuable for your community, volunteers who meet their hours requirement will be invited to an end-of-season celebration that brings together the community of volunteers. Previous events include a Colorado Rockies game and a reception at the Wynkoop Brewery pool hall.
Get in touch
Want to learn more about volunteering? We’re happy to share!